May 17, 2024

Throwback Thursday - May 2, 2024

Creston Community Theatre's production of "Play it Again, Sam" calls for a large cast of 12. Posing for their respective characters are, front: Terry Gieber, Nancy Tarbell, Dana Legg and Carole Stanger. In back are Barb Russell, Joan Sulser, Laura Krings, Judy Hardick, Terry Allard, Beth Bryson, Tina Weed and Priscilla Hall.

Today is Thursday, May 2, the 123rd day of the year. There are 243 days remaining in 2024. Below are news items found in the Creston News Advertiser for this week in history.

4 years ago (2020)

Despite sports nationwide coming to a halt, golf has been thriving in some areas. One area specifically is at Crestmoor Golf Club, which is still open and operating every day through the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the requests to stay indoors and minimize leaving home to necessities, Crestmoor’s clubhouse manager Jan Lesan says the traffic of golfers coming out to the club has increased, but the rules on the course are not the same as they have been in the past.

First National Bank hosts fundraising ‘cash mob’ - First National Bank invites you to be part of the “cash mob” it is sponsoring at these local restaurants in the communities they serve: Mario’s Sports Bar & Grill in Creston, El Ranchito in Afton and Nishna Valley Cafe in Shenandoah. The Cash Mob will start at 11:30 a.m. Friday, May 8. FNB will pay $5 off a single takeout order and $10 off double/multiple order(s) until a $250 donation at each of the local restaurants is met.

Murray Community Schools Superintendent Alan Miller has decided to retire after 11 years. The Murray school board took a close look at financials and considered what was in the best interest of the students and school district, it was decided to do a shared superintendent with East Union Schools’ Ken Kasper. Kasper has been East Union’s superintendent for more than two years.

24 years ago (2000)

Creston is one of 10 communities in Iowa selected to Iowa’s Living Roadways Community Visioning Program. The program assists community volunteers make effective decisions about roadsides and related landscapes to blend environmental stewardship with community improvements.

Todd Wolverton, junior high and high school principal in the Wall Lake View Auburn (WLVA) school district, was hired Thursday by the Creston Community School District Board of Directors as new principal at Creston High School. Wolverton succeeds Darrel Bartling, who last month accepted an offer in the Mount Ayr Community School District.

In just five weeks, a project talked about for three years is nearly complete. The renovation of Lenox City Hall, the first in 25 years, includes new paint, carpet, heating and cooling system, phone system, electrical wiring, plumbing and handicap accessible restroom. Council members and city employees did much of the finish labor for the transformation.

Creston’s soccer team avenged a 4-2 loss to Harlan earlier in the season with a 2-0 shutout of the Cyclones.

44 years ago (1980)

Darla Betts, a senior at Creston High School, has been named a Merit Scholarship winner by the National Merit Scholarship corporation.

There were four times as many marriages in Union County in April as divorces, according to vital statistics announced by the Union County Clerk of Courts office. In April there were eight marriages and two divorces. Twelve people died here during April and there were 22 births recorded last month.

Plans call for the three first grades and one second grade in Mount Ayr to move into the new Mount Ayr Community elementary school building Friday if inside work on the building is completed. The students now attend school in the fairgrounds building.

Work on the 52 apartment addition to Creston Regency Park started recently. The project, estimated worth $1.07 million, will bring the number of apartments at the housing complex for the elderly to 100. The addition is being made to the north of the present buildings and will be completed later this year.

64 years ago (1960)

The Creston High School marching band and the Red and White Peppers pep squad will leave at 6 a.m. Saturday, to take part in the Iowa State University Veishea parade and attend Veishea activities in Ames.

The 29th anniversary of Beta Sigma Phi sorority was celebrated by members of Zeta Lota chapter at a banquet Thursday night. Mrs. Don Green, recently honored in the sorority’s selection of Creston’s “Woman of the Year” for 1960, was a guest.

The Creston High School student newspaper, The Arrow, has won sixth place in the Iowa High School Journalism contest, sponsored by the Iowa State University of Sigma Delta Chi, professional journalism fraternity. The ranking is based on points won by Arrow staff in fall and spring contests.