police lights

David Brandt, 40, of Creston, was taken into custody 3:17 p.m. March 14 at his residence on the charge of domestic abuse assault, third or subsequent offense.

According to a Creston Police report, at approximately 2:45 p.m. police were called to a residence on South Oak Street for a domestic assault in progress. When officers arrived at the residence, the female victim was standing in the driveway.

The victim showed officers a video, several minutes in length, of the altercation in which a male, identified as Brandt, physically restraining her by putting his arms around her waist, not allowing her to leave. The victim told Brandt numerous times to let her go. Brandt pushed the victim forward onto the ground and then grabbed her again and held on to her until she was able to get away from him. At this point the victim went outside and called 911.

Officers made contact with Brandt, who was inside the residence, and intoxicated. He admitted to drinking and taking pills and was checked by medics and cleared.

Brandt was transported to the Union County Jail and held without bond until seen by a judge.

–– –– –– –– ––

Allison Dunphy, 49, of Creston, was taken into custody 12:26 a.m. March 15 on the charge of OWI, first offense.

According to a Creston Police report, at approximately 11:28 p.m. March 14, an officer on patrol observed a 2022 Chevrolet Blazer, stop one to two car lengths short of the stop sign at Cherry and Townline streets, causing the officer to turn around and follow the vehicle. The officer was able to catch up to the Blazer near intersection at Osage Street, where the Blazer turned south onto Osage. While behind the Blazer, officers observed it weaving in the lane and cross the center portion of the roadway before correcting and slowly returning back to the travel portion of the lane. The Blazer came to the stop sign at Highway 34 and turned east onto Highway 34, where officers initiated a traffic stop.

When officers made contact with the driver, identified as Dunphy, it took her a while to find the window button to roll down. Once the window was rolled down, the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage was detected coming from inside the vehicle. When Dunphy attempted to hand officers her license she dropped it between the seat and the door. Dunphy had slurred speech. After being asked to exit her vehicle and a lengthy conversation with officers on the side of the highway, Dunphy agreed to be transported to the law enforcement center for field sobriety testing.

Once at the law enforcement center, Dunphy showed multiple signs of impairment. Dunphy consented to a PBT test which showed a BAC of .194%. After being told she was under arrest and read appropriate documentation, Dunphy made multiple phone calls and then refused to provide a breath sample for chemical testing.

Dunphy was transported to the Union County Jail where she was released from after posting $1,000 cash or surety bond.