Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive the latest news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, opinion, community and more!

M. Duane Glick



Duane Glick, 85, of Creston, formerly of Mount Ayr, died Wednesday, May 13, 2020, at Creston Specialty Care in Creston. A celebration of life memorial service will be held at a later date. Burial will be in the Rose Hill Cemetery in Mount Ayr. Powers Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. In lieu of flowers, memorials can be directed to the Creston United Methodist Church or Chicken Inn. Online condolences can be given at

Milton Duane Glick was born Jan. 26, 1935, to Ruby Alpha (McMillion) and Dallas Ogden Glick in Beaconsfield. Three years later he was joined by a brother Marlin Jean. At a very early age Milton became known by his middle name, Duane, to eliminate confusion with grandfather, Milton Glick’s name.

The boys grew up enjoying farm life, country school, family get-togethers with the Glicks and the McMillions, and all the mischievousness cousins and friends could find. Duane graduated from Ellston High School in 1954. In his graduating class, four of the six students were first cousins.

After graduation, Duane went to work for the Oliver Corporation in Omaha, Nebraska, but returned to Ellston in January 1955 after his father’s sudden death. For a time, he helped his mother and brother keep the family farm going but later they decided to have a closing out sale and his mother moved to town. Duane worked at Boortz Grocery Wholesale in Creston and lived with his aunt and uncle for the next three years.

In May 1958, he married the “girl of his dreams”, Sharon Kinney. They remained in Creston until 1963. To this union were born two children: Kristeen Kay, March 1, 1959, and Kevin Duane, Dec. 11, 1961. Duane and Sharon were proud parents. Both children graduated from Mount Ayr High School. Kris later graduated from Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Missouri, and taught in Iowa, Missouri, and final years in Ames Elementary before losing her battle with leukemia. Kevin attended Lincoln Technical School in Des Moines before joining the U.S. Air Force. Since then he has enjoyed small engine repair and sale of lawn equipment at Service Tech in Creston.

In 1963, Duane injured his legs in a fall during a snow and ice storm. Since driving the truck would no longer be an option, Duane attended AIB business school in Des Moines to study accounting. At this time, he and his family returned to the Tingley area to be closer to family.

After his schooling, he worked for Anderson Supply Elevator in Ellston as an office manager. In 1974, once again leg problems caused the need for two knee replacements. In 1975, he was appointed to the position of city clerk for the City of Mount Ayr. He remained there for 31 years.

Through the years, he was supportive of Sharon’s work and raising the family. While at Shamrock Cafe Duane would stop in after work and help the girls do dishes. He always told them this was where he started his climb to success!

Later after Sharon started a new venture with Southwest Iowa Sheltered Workshop at the Challenge Center in Mount Ayr, it became evident that the Ringgold County area needed a group home to serve special needs adults because of aging parents and care givers. Duane and Sharon spearheaded a fundraising campaign with the help of community and grants to make this become a reality. In 1987, the Ringgold County Group Home opened with eight residents. Once again Duane agreed, and he and Sharon accepted the role of house parents for the next 22 years. Duane continued at city hall but returned to the group home at night and weekends to help care, entertain, and be a father figure for the residents. Duane always remarked that he learned more about life, unconditional love, friendship, forgiveness, and God’s plan for each of us from the residents than any other time in his life.

After retirement in 2009, the couple returned to Creston to be near Kevin and Debbie. Duane helped Kevin at the office at Service Tech which he thoroughly enjoyed.

The other joys in Duane and Sharon’s life included their step-granddaughter Tena Snethen and a great-grandson William Brandon Berry. Brandon kept them young and involved more in school and community.

After suffering a major stroke, Duane was unable to return home. Three months later, a severe heart attack left even more disability, but his mind and memory remained. Even his quick wit and ability to make the most of the situation made him a favorite of the nursing home staff. Duane never met a stranger — only future friends. He enjoyed reminiscing, always finding common interest with everyone he met.

Throughout the years he and Sharon enjoyed trips to Branson, a trip to Georgia to visit Kevin while he was stationed there with the Air Force and back through Fort Smith, Arkansas, so his mother could see her brother for the last time. Another highlight was a trip to New York City for four days — compliments of “Full of Pep Feed” for outstanding sales while at the elevator in Ellston. Of all the trips, family reunions and get-togethers with friends, his favorite recreation was fishing at the pond or lake and picnics. Watching the sunsets, listening to the birds, watching the deer play and just quiet moments in the beauty of God’s creation gave him peace and tranquility.

Duane is survived by his wife Sharon Glick of Creston; son Kevin (wife Debbie) Glick of Creston; sister-in-law Janis Danels of Ottumwa; one granddaughter Tena Snethen of Creston; two step-grandsons: Cody and Chad Means; one great-grandson Brandon Berry of Creston; nieces, nephews, cousins and a multitude of friends.

Duane is preceded in death by his parents, father and mother-in-law Clark and Helen Kinney; his daughter Kris; and a brother Marlin Glick; his brother-in-law Bud; and a grandson James Duane Glick in infancy.

Loading more