Digital Access

Digital Access
Access crestonnews.com from all your digital devices and receive the latest news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, opinion, community and more!
Local

Throwback Thursday

Two of the most recognizable Christmas characters Santa Claus and Frosty the Snowman share this float Nov. 29, 2007, during Creston's Lighted Christmas Parade.
Two of the most recognizable Christmas characters Santa Claus and Frosty the Snowman share this float Nov. 29, 2007, during Creston's Lighted Christmas Parade.

Today is Nov. 30, the 334th day of the year. So, there are 31 days left in 2017. Below are news items from the Creston News Advertiser for this week (Nov. 27-Dec. 3) in history:

10 years ago

Haylee Walters of Creston was pursuing her dream of being a dancer and singer. She was a cheerleader for Kansas City Chiefs football team, but talked about only 20 percent of her duties were practice and cheering. The other 80 percent was making appearances in the community and an overseas show. She had done a U.S. Organizations Tour of seven military bases in three countries where she was a part of of the Chiefs Cheerleader’s Variety Show where she sang and danced.

Union Bank branches in Lenox and Corning began doing business Dec. 1, 2007, as Iowa State Saving Bank according to ISSB Executive Vice President Karl Knock.

20 years ago

Seven babies were born Nov. 19 to Bobbi, 29, and Kenny, 27, McCaughey of Carlisle. The four boys and three girls were only the second set of septuplets ever born alive and the first ever to survive. Doctors were astonished and said the size and condition of the babies was virtually unheard of. Each weighed in the normal range of a baby born nine weeks prematurely.

Stage Stores Inc. of Houston planned to open a 12,000 square foot facility in mid-March 1998 at the old Hy-Vee store in Creston. The east portion of the building was to house the State Savings Bank of Bedford branch. O’Reilly Auto Parts was constructing a new store on Highway 34 near Earl May Nursery and had purchased Parts Plus from Joe Wolf. Wolf was to manage the new O’Reilly store and current Parts Plus employees would become O’Reilly employees.

Fire prevention poster contest winners were announced. First place for sixth grade and overall honors went to Amy Goldsmith, fifth-grade winner was Roger Martin, fourth grade – Brent Romesburg and third grade – Nicole Stoll.

50 years ago

McCannalloy division of Hill-McCanna Co. in Creston made parts used in Saturn V rocket for launches to the moon. The parts made here were under government security classification and no details were given by the space flight center of Hill-McCanna.

Room charges at Greater Community Hospital increased, effective Nov. 1, 1967. A private room increased for $28 to $32 per day, semi-private rooms went from $21 to $25 per day and four-bed wards increased form $16 to $21 per day.

Raymond Stevenson, superintendent of the Clearfield water department, explained operations of the plant to visitors during an open house after dedication of the new system. The system was serving about 70 homes and businesses while others were making connections as rapidly as possible.

Al Zarifis, owner of Zarifis Insurance Agency, began remodeling work on his new office location at 208 N. Maple St. and was preparing to move the first of the year. The office had formerly been occupied by Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen.

Mrs. Robert Jungst of Creston was able to purchase the 88-1 license plate again for the third year in a row at the Union County treasurer’s office. She had waited outside since 10 p.m. the night before to be the first in line when the office opened at 8:30 a.m.

The first dormitory for SWCC students opened after several years of discussion. The girls’ dormitory was the old Greater Community Hospital and although 23 girls were living there filling 13 rooms, more projects were underway. The cost was $150 per semester and the girls were permitted to have their girlfriends as overnight guests, if first approved by the housemother, Mrs. Harry Gidley.

Loading more